No products in the cart.
Social Media is an important part of the world today. Here are 10 quick, simple social media tips to keep you from becoming that dreaded friend that steps over the simple lines of etiquette.
10 Social Media Tips
- Don’t use all CAPS! This is the equivalent of shouting at your reader. You would be surprised at how many people this offends and they will call you out on it.
- Do not share someone’s post then proceed to make off topic comments on it. This is called hijacking a post. It is extremely rude. Why would you try to make someone else’s post all about you? If you have something off-topic to say…start your own post about it on your timeline.
- Think before you post. An hour from now, will you regret posting something that is now out in the wilds of the internet with no way of deleting it. Simply deleting your post does not mean that someone hasn’t already grabbed a screenshot of it. Once you post, you have no control over what others do with your post.
- Posting pictures of friends and tagging them without asking first is a serious faux pas. Many people are extremely uncomfortable with their picture being posted. Wouldn’t you hate to be the cause of trouble for a friend because of something you posted. It is far better to ask first than have to apologize later.
- Be mindful of your privacy settings. You can simply change the privacy settings for each post you make or you can set your overall privacy settings however you wish. Become familiar with the privacy settings for each social media platform. They all differ.
- Don’t let a someone’s post ruin your day. If a friend, relative or colleague continually shares items that upset you, at the minimum, hide their posts. You don’t have to unfriend or unfollow them. You can simply hide their posts from sight. This is much better than confronting them & causing issues outside of social media. That said, if the same person over shares things that you find offensive take action. A nice sequence is to 1) hide 2) un-follow 3) un-friend 4) block. Life is too short to let social media cause you grief.
- Get over yourself! If someone wants their social media to be full of happiness, food, flowers, puppies, kittens & babies. Let them. Likewise, if you want to be all gloom & doom on your posts, that is your right. Don’t criticize others over what they post. If you don’t like it…hide it!
- Spell-check AND proofread. We often make mistakes that are in actuality real words. Spell-check does not know what you intended to say. However, often times those words can change the meaning of your post…dramatically! Click here to see some hilarious examples of “Mom tweets”. (Caution! Do not open if you have no sense of humor or are easily offended by language). You do not want your message to end up on one of these infamous posts.
- Do not make vague posts about things no one else knows about or cares about. These look like you are begging someone to ask you about it. You don’t want to appear needy & self-centered.
- If someone “unfriends” or “unfollows” you. Let it go. It is just social media. No matter what the rest of the world thinks, it is not life & death. Social media is meant to be enjoyed .